Wednesday 22 September 2010

Servant or Superior?

I work for Dorothy Perkins and have been for the past year. Although I have a couple other jobs I'd say this is definitely my most stable and enjoyable if you can truly call work enjoyable and actually believe it. I came across this notion the other day that had me racking my brains for the majority of my shift.

There are so many titles for one job, 'Sales Assistant', 'Sales Advisor', 'Sales Representative' etc yet they all really come down to one thing, you do whatever the customer wants you to do, in moderation of course. So, does that make me their servant, i mean, I think yes in some ways, I run downstairs when they miraculously forget what their legs are for, I offer them endless alternatives when they reach the till after a good hour of stressful shopping and realise that actually the red dress is a little too figure hugging and I wave them off and smile over gritted teeth when they've really pushed all the wrong buttons, so that means I'm a sort of modern day slave right?

Wrong...i think.

When a person walks into the shop you have this sort of aura about you that screams I have power because I have this job, I could make a persons shopping experience total hell or I could make Dorothy Perkins the most amazing place to be. I could go down to the stock room to get that last size 10 OR I could feel the tiredness in my knees and claim we don't have anymore jeans in. It provides me with this feeling of authority and I wont lie it does feel slightly uplifting, but I mean it's a pretty big jump from my prior inferior notion of being a slave to the consumer which initially...we are.

So what are we sales advisory representative assistants, are we servants or superior? To be perfectly honest I couldn't say, not without researching it a little more, I suppose it would be easier to just say that we're a healthy balance between the two but what a boringly generic answer! I'd say it depends on the type of person you are. I'm usually willing to help people as much as I can because I know that's what I'd want if I walked into a place to spend my money but not all people share that view.

I'm still undecided to be honest so i'll look into it further and get back to you soon!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment